Sunday 4 March 2012

Allergies and Sodium Lauryl Sulphate

When complaining about my allergies to my ex mother-in-law some years ago she retorted that they didn't have allergies in "her day".
Whilst finding this mildly irritating I think she was probably right and it also made me think about why this should be, and more recently I have discovered lots of possible reasons and explanations, and indeed my recent research has left me astounded to find out exactly what goes into a lot of the products we use in our personal care routines.
I have always been interested in health issues and my own problem with allergies has been a long standing battle, but only recently in pursuit of a home-based business - strangely enough - has the allergy issue been highlighted to a much greater degree for me personally.
I have spent a lot of time, money and effort trying to get to the root of my own problems with very little success, and the conventional route i.e going to the doctor has produced zero results. Another frustration for me has been that people often don't believe me and make up their own assumptions about what is really my problem, ranging from anorexia to wanting to be the center of attention (it's good to get that one off my chest!)
Anyway last year I joined Amazon Herb Company, a US company owned by a man named John Easterling who is now married to Olivia Newton John, and this was the start of my ongoing journey into some close scrutinisation of what we put into and onto our bodies. I have long since suspected that there are a lot of ingredients in our personal care products that really shouldn't be there, but like most other people I tended to think that there must be some form of legislation preventing harmful products i.e. chemicals from being present. Now, however, I am beginning to doubt this, seriously!
Two chemicals coming seriously into question are Sodium Lauryl Sulphate and Sodium Laureth Sulphate, which are both present in a great many day to day skin and hair care products. Upon initial research this is one of the quotes that I found - "Sodium Lauryl Sulphate started its career as an industrial degreasant and garage floor cleaner. When applied to human skin it has the effect of stripping off the oil layer and then irritating and eroding the skin, leaving it rough and pitted" Yet if you look in your bathroom cabinet you will find SLS present in the majority of shampoos, toothpastes, bubble bath and many other skin (improving) type products. Astounding!
My quest is now to find alternative products from companies that actually care about our health and not just their profits. If these issues also concern you I have included the link to my website via which you can contact me for more information on alternative products, and see some of the alternatives available from Amazon Herb Company.http://www.allergy-zero.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment